Nigel is a degree qualified civil engineer, a member of the Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand and a chartered professional engineer in New Zealand.
Nigel has over 35 years experience in a broad range of environmental and civil engineering projects. Recent representative projects include:
Flood assessment and reporting
- Flood assessment and reporting and design of overland flow paths for flood protection for houses and a large rest home, Auckland, 2008-2012
- Providing specialist consulting services including assessment and prioritisation of flood management for catchment management planning.
Sustainable stormwater management and Low Impact Development (LID)
- Feasibility investigations and conceptual and detail design for raingardens for 14 hectare urban development in Papakura (as subcontractor to Stormwater Solutions Consulting Ltd), 2006 .
- Design of swales and wetland for treatment of stormwater for large carparks and associated development, for resource consent application, Pacific Events Centre site Manukau City, 2004 - 2009.
- Lead author- preparation of on-site stormwater management guidelines for New Zealand, NZ Water Research Environment Foundation, 2004.
Roof water harvesting and re-use
- Feasibility modelling, sizing and conceptual design for a range of sites including a large rest home, Auckland, 2012.
Assessment of environmental effects for stormwater including expert evidence for consent and Environment Court hearings
- Preparation of evidence for an appeal against a consent to discharge stormwater from a proposed timber treatment plant at Ruakaka, 2008. Participated in caucusing with experts as part of mediation.
- Preparation of evidence to support an appeal against consents granted to discharge stormwater for a proposed timber mill, Coromandel peninsula, 2005. Presentation of evidence at Environment Court.
- Auckland Manukau Eastern Transport Initiative (Ameti), Phase 1a, 2011 and Phase1, 2012, Auckland Council. Designation of land and resource consents for stormwater disposal for major new highway at Panmure, Auckland.
- Consent to divert additional floodwaters from the Oroua River into the Taonui basin, part of the lower Manawatu Scheme, Horizons Regional Council, September 2009 and December 2012.
- Waikato Regional Council, various consents for dam and divert floodwater, discharge wastewater, discharge contaminants, 2009 -2012.
Teaching and training
- University of Auckland, Department of Environmental Science. Co-teaching course ENVSCI 711 Assessing Environmental Effects for post-graduate students, 2009 to 2013.
- Guest lecturer for Governance and Planning 305, University of Auckland, School of Architecture and Planning
- Surface water effects of development; effects and management
- Member of independent peer review panel to review design, construction, operation and maintenance of the Northern Waikato Regional Landfill (Hampton Downs). Reporting to the Waikato Regional Council, 2010 to date.
- Reporting for call-in of proposed Turitea wind farm, Manawatu. Preparation of (S42a) report for the Board of Enquiry on the construction effects of the proposed Turitea Wind Farm, involving significant earthworks in a sensitive area with very steep topography, 2010.
Download CV as PDF.